For the syrup:
- 2 cup Honey
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
For the kunafa
- 400g Kataifi Dough
- 1 cup melted butter
- 600 g Mozzarella cheese
- 170 ml Thick cream
- 1/ 2 cup Crusted pistachios
- Dry rose petal
For the simple syrup
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, Honey and squeeze of lemon and place on high heat. Allow it to come to a boil
2. Once it boils, lower heat to medium and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes then turn off the heat. It should have a runny syrup consistency (Add the tablespoon of rose water at the end if using, and allow it to cool.
3. Take out the frozen kataifi dough and leave it to thaw for an hour or so on the counter. Preheat oven to 350F
4. Shred the cheese or cut it up into small cubes, and mix it with the thick cream
5. Break up the kataifi dough.Place the shredded kataifi dough in a bowl and pour over the melted butter. Mix well.
6. Brush the bottom of your pan with a bit of butter. Use a 12 inch pan for one large one.
7. Take half of the kataifi dough and pack it into the bottom of the pan using the flat bottom of a cup.
5. Spoon the cheese mixture inside and spread it out evenly
6. Take the remaining kataifi dough and spread it over the cheese, covering it all and packing it in lightly
7. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the outside is deeply golden and crispy
8. Immediately drizzle the kunafa with the syrup, ensuring you cover the full surface.
9. Allow it to cool and soak the syrup for 10 minutes.
10. Garnish with pistachios and rose petal. Cut into pieces and serve!!