Here’s a quick and easy Tamarind Rice Recipe you can prepare during the fasting season:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 Tsp mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 5 dried red chilies
- 2 branches curry leaves
- 1 knob of tamarind paste
- 1 big onion
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil
- Put the rice to soak (minimum of 30 minutes) and cook until it is half-done.
- Slice the onion and separate in half.
- In a bowl, add the tamarind and some warm water for it to soak.
- Heat the oil and ghee. Fry the first half of the sliced onions on medium heat. Reserve for garnish.
- In the same oil, add in the rest of the sliced onions, the curry leaves, mustard seeds and red chillies. Add salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the half-cooked rice and mix well. Strain the tamarind water paste and add that into the rice. Mix gently and add about 1/4 cup of water. Decrease to low heat and cover the pan for the rice to cook fully. Mix twice after 5 minutes each then take it off the heat and let it sit covered for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the fried onions and your Tamarind Rice is ready!