Mauritius prawn rougaille is one of my absolute favorite types of recipe. This is super easy to make and it is so delicious hitting all the notes that Mauritius cuisine is famous for. It is a classic Creole sauce. You can use our Sunny rougaille sauce to go with numerous other things, like eggs, zucchini, eggplant, sausage, fish, the options are really endless. Just make it, trust me you will love it! Serve it alongside a salad and rice and you have yourself a quick and easy scrumptious meal.
- 1 pound peeled prawn
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sunny Rougailles Chilli
- 2 tablespoons minced coriander
1. Place the prawn in a medium bowl. Toss with 2 teaspoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
2. Heat your pan over medium-high heat. Add the prawn in a single layer and about 1 minute per side, flipping over the prawn.
3. If there are a lot of browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, either carefully (pan is hot!) wipe them out with a damp paper towel or wash the skillet.
4. Reduce the heat to medium. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and becomes translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the garlic, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
6. Add the tomato sauce. Cook at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
7. Stir in the cooked prawn and coriander. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve with pasta, rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.