- 1.5 cups kidney beans (300g)
- 2 tablespoon oil 30ml, use oil of choice
- 1 cup grated onion
- 1 tablespooon ginger garlic patse
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric power
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander
1. To a pan, add 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Then add the grated onions and mix.
2. Cook the onions for around 7 to 8 minutes, stirring often until very light golden in color. Then add ginger-garlic paste and green chili and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Then add the spices- coriander, turmeric, red chili, garam masala and salt.
5. Mix and cook on medium-low heat for around 10 mins until oil oozes out of masala.In total we cooked the tomatoes for around 15 minutes before adding the beans (important step, don’t rush it).
6. Add the beans and added additional 11/2 cup water here. Stir well and set heat to low-medium.
7. Let the curry simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. In between use a potato masher to mash some of the beans. This makes the curry creamier and thickens it.
8. Then after it has simmered for 20 to 30 minutes, add the chopped coriander.
9. Serve with rice or farata. Enjoy!