- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 small to medium onion
- 4 small green chili peppers
- cilantro leaves
- mint leaves
- 1 lb (454 g) ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (5-6 garlic cloves) crushed garlic
- 3/4 tbsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- neutral oil (for searing)
- Kebab skewers
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Toast, stirring and shaking the skillet often, for 2-3 minutes. The seeds will deepen in colour and become highly aromatic. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly, and grind to a powder in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
2. Strain and pat out any excess moisture from the ground beef and place into a large bowl. Add the onion, cilantro, mint, and green chilli peppers to a food processor.
3. Add the salt, garlic, ginger, black pepper, red chilli flakes, garam masala, toasted & ground cumin & coriander. Mix well.
4. Using gloved hands, knead for 3-4 minutes. Cover the bowl and set aside for 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to overnight.
6. Using oiled hands take around 1/4 cup of the meat and form into a hearty round shape. Run the kebab skewers through the meat and use your hands to form a sausage-like shape around the skewer. It should come to 5-6 inches long.
7. Heat pan with oil and let cook for 6-7 minutes.